E040 - Grow an Operator Beard With Rich & Justin
This time on Across The Peak Rich and I teach you how to grow a long, luxurious operator beard!
How To Grow A Beard
by Rich and Justin
The interesting intersection of “Science” and “Beards”
-A study found that primates have developed certain evolutionary "badges," like beards in humans. And these badges seem to enhance male sexual attractiveness to female primates.
-According to several recent studies women find men with light facial stubble most attractive.
-Yet another study found that women perceived male faces with full beards as the most masculine, aggressive, older, more healthy, trustworthy and socially mature.
-Dr Grueter’s study found that both MEN and WOMEN view men with beards as more aggressive and dominant than their beardless brethren.
-Based upon the research it is believed that a bearded display of dominance may intimidate beardless rivals to stand aside, enabling the bearded men to have greater mating opportunities.
Why would a man want to grow a beard?
- Aesthetics/Alter your appearance
- To look Operator As Fuck
- As an indicator of virility
- Can compensate for a weak chin
- Your partner LOVES it
Why would you not want to grow a beard
- it may be frowned upon (or straight up forbidden) in your job
- Your partner HATES it
Grow a Beard in Three Easy Steps!
Step 1: Stop Shaving!
Step 2: Continue…
- But it’s itchy! Push through that shit.
- Go AT LEAST a month before trying to shape or trim
- Have a "patchy" beard? Don’t worry, give it AT LEAST 4-5 months before trimming
Step 3: Keep your body right
- Get plenty of high quality sleep.
- Eat well. Your beard is made of protein and fat. Eat nuts, meat, eggs, dairy and lots of leafy greens. Take your vitamins (or eat them in the form of whole foods), especially B3, B5, B7 ("Biotin") and B9.
- Get your ass to the gym and WORK OUT! This will increase your testosterone.
How to Maintain Your Beautiful Beard
- You have to wash your beard.
- Your beard can trap soap residue and that can damage your beard and skin, so rinse thoroughly
- You probably shouldn't wash your beard every day. This can wash off the naturally occurring oils that protect your hair and cause it to become dry and brittle. However, you CAN rinse it every day.
Beard Oil: What’s all the hype about?
- Beard oil keeps the beard hair healthy
- Beard oil keeps the beard lubricated
- Beard oil keeps the skin underneath moisturized
- Beard oil keeps you from getting dandruff under the beard
- Beard oil keeps you smelling fresh
- Contraindication: Beard oil can discolor the necks of your shirts
To Groom or not to Groom?
-Find one and use it.
Shaving: (Necessary Evil #1)
- Shape your beard
- Shave your neck
- Shave carefully so as not to harm your beard
Trimming: (Necessary Evil #2)
Method 1: Trimmers.
- Trimmers are fast
- Get a consistent length all over your face
Method 2: Scissors
- Slightly more difficult/time consuming than trimmers
- Really possible to cut way too much out of one area
- Much more control, everything doesn't have to be a consistent length
Book of the Week
One Thousand Beards: A Cultural History of Facial Hair by Allan Peterkin
Civility Rule of the Week
5th - If You Cough, Sneeze, Sigh, or Yawn, do it not Loud but Privately; and Speak not in your Yawning, but put Your handkerchief or Hand before your face and turn aside.
From George Washington’s Rules of Civility and Decent Behavior in Company & Conversation